This may be controversial 😬 – BUT I think it’s worth saying.
If I was to go back to the early stages of desperately trying to balance my hormones and manage my PCOS symptoms THESE are the things I would never do during this time.
Now, I realise this absolutely may not be the case for everyone (and in fact for some people many these things may even be beneficial for them!) BUT for me these things all negatively impacted my hormones, put my body into fight or flight, and flared up my symptoms even more- and hence were worth avoiding! 👋
1. Drinking coffee on an empty stomach: When you consume coffee without food, especially in the morning, it can trigger a surge in cortisol, the stress hormone. For individuals with conditions like PCOS, already marked by hormonal imbalances, this cortisol spike can further disrupt the delicate hormone equilibrium. It’s advisable to have a balanced meal before indulging in your morning coffee to minimize this impact.
2 . Fasting for longer than 10 hours: Extended fasting periods can put undue stress on your body, potentially leading to fluctuations in hormones like insulin and leptin. For individuals with PCOS who may already have insulin resistance issues, prolonged fasting can exacerbate these problems. It’s essential to consult with a healthcare professional before embarking on fasting regimens, especially with underlying hormonal conditions.
3. Wearing perfume or deodorants: Many commercial fragrances contain phthalates, parabens, and other chemicals known as endocrine disruptors. These substances can interfere with the normal functioning of hormones, potentially impacting individuals with PCOS by further disrupting hormonal balance. Opt for fragrance-free or natural alternatives like essential oils to reduce exposure to these chemicals.
4. Not getting proper blood testing: PCOS looks different for everyone and one of the only ways we can gt a really clear idea of what is going in for each individual is via blood testing.Not getting blood tests can lead to undiagnosed or untreated issues, such as insulin resistance or elevated androgens. Getting a full panel of bloods done is recommended for effectively managing PCOS and its unique symptoms.
5. Skipping meals: Irregular eating patterns can result in fluctuations in blood sugar levels. For individuals with PCOS, who are already prone to insulin resistance, this can lead to worsening hormonal imbalances. Consistent, balanced meals can help stabilize blood sugar and hormone levels.
6. Getting less than 8 hours of sleep: Sleep is essential for regulating hormones. Insufficient sleep can disrupt the circadian rhythm, leading to imbalances in hormones like insulin, leptin, and cortisol. Individuals with PCOS should prioritize good sleep hygiene to support hormonal health.
7. Drinking alcohol: Excessive alcohol consumption can strain the liver, which plays a central role in processing hormones. This can impair the liver’s ability to metabolise hormones properly, potentially worsening hormonal imbalances often seen in PCOS.
8. Only ever doing HIIT workouts: High-intensity interval training (HIIT) can be beneficial, but overdoing it without incorporating other forms of exercise can lead to chronically elevated cortisol levels. For individuals with PCOS, this can contribute to hormonal imbalances. A balanced workout routine that includes various forms of exercise is often a better approach.
9. Not prioritising eating fat and protein at meal times: Healthy fats and proteins are essential for hormone production and regulation. Neglecting these nutrients can lead to hormonal imbalances. Incorporating sources of healthy fats and protein in meals can help support hormonal health, especially for those with PCOS.
My journey to naturally rebalancing my hormones and reversing my PCOS symptoms wasn’t instant, but it WAS worth every effort.
So, if you’re on a similar path, remember – you’ve got this! Small changes, one step at a time, can lead to remarkable transformations.
If you’re ready to take control of your hormonal health and explore natural solutions, consider trying our 100% natural and organic hormone-balancing tea blends. They’ve helped THOUSANDS of women worldwide (including me!) find relief and rediscover their hormonal health and well-being.
Your journey to balance and wellness begins NOW. Click the link below to discover our products (or read some of the hundreds of REAL testimonies!) and start your empowering transformation today. 💕
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Dr. Hina is a fertility specialist and radiologist working as a IUI Consultant. She is a beacon of hope for couples on their journey to parenthood, specializing in fertility treatment and serving as a trusted IUI consultant. With an impressive 8 years of experience in the field, she has witnessed the transformative power of reproductive medicine firsthand and is driven by a deep passion to help individuals realize their dreams of starting a family. Read More