What is a Fallopian Tube Cyst?
The fallopian tubes are two small tubes which connect the ovaries with the uterus. The cysts may be in either one or both of the fallopian tubes.
Fallopian Tube Cysts Types
Two main types of cysts can develop in the fallopian tubes:
- Hydrosalpinx The most common form of fallopian cyst. The cyst is caused by an obstruction in the fallopian tubes that stops fluid draining.
- Paratubal Cyst: A type of cyst that forms on the outside of a fallopian tube, but still attached.
Fallopian Tube Cysts
The majority of fallopian cysts are asymptomatic. Some women experience symptoms such as:
- Pelvic Pain
- Irregular bleeding
- Intercourses that are painful
- Nausea and vomiting
- Bloating in the abdomen
The Causes of Fallopian Tube Cysts
It is not known what causes fallopian tubes cysts. Some possible causes are:
- Pelvic surgery
Diagnosis for Fallopian Tube Cysts
A pelvic examination is often used to diagnose fallopian tube cysts. A CT or ultrasound scan may be ordered by your doctor to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment for Fallopian Tube Cysts
The size, type and symptoms of the cyst will determine how you should proceed. Treatment may not be necessary for small cysts which do not produce any symptoms. Cysts larger than 2 cm or those that cause symptoms can be surgically removed.
Prevention of Fallopian Tube Cysts
It is not possible to completely prevent the formation of fallopian cysts. You can reduce your risk by:
- Practice safe sexual behavior to lower your risk of infection
- Getting regular pelvic exams
- Treatment of pelvic infection promptly
How to Know When You Should See A Doctor
Consult your doctor immediately if you experience any symptoms that could indicate a cyst in the fallopian tubes. A timely diagnosis and treatment will help to prevent further complications.
Fallopian tubes cysts can be common, and they usually don’t cause problems. If you experience any symptoms that could indicate a cyst in the fallopian tubes, it is important to consult your doctor immediately. A timely diagnosis and treatment will help to prevent further complications.
- Adnexal Cysts at Nationwide Children’s Hospital – Causes, symptoms, diagnosis and treatment
- Cleveland Clinic Ovarian cysts: Diagnosis, Causes, and Treatment
- Penn Medicine: Can a Cyst Prevent Me From Having A Baby?
- Cedars-Sinai blog: Ovarian Cysts Treatment
- Ovarian Cysts – Causes, symptoms, and treatment
- Introduction to Cancer.Net’s Ovarian Cancer, Fallopian tube Cancer, and Peritoneal cancer:
Dr. Hina is a fertility specialist and radiologist working as a IUI Consultant. She is a beacon of hope for couples on their journey to parenthood, specializing in fertility treatment and serving as a trusted IUI consultant. With an impressive 8 years of experience in the field, she has witnessed the transformative power of reproductive medicine firsthand and is driven by a deep passion to help individuals realize their dreams of starting a family. Read More